Sunday, 7 February 2010

The cold, the cleaning, the churches and the city...

The initial shock of having to acclimatise myself to a new and strange culture is finally beginning to wear off. After a few days of finding our feet, I feel confident enough to jump on a tram and go for coffee or shopping alone. We went shopping and to the cinema yesterday, which was lovely! However, following that we spent several hours cleaning our kitchen facilities, but they now seem safe enough to use! We all got up early this morning to go to church- Danube international Church, however the address we had taken from the internet must have been incorrect, because there was definitely no church to be found! So we came back and then planned our daytrip to the Parliament building. We had go work out which tram line and then which metro to use and it all worked out successfully! We made it to the building it plenty of time only to discover that the tickets went on sale at 8am for the 2pm tour and were all sold out already! So instead we went for a walk around the ‘Pest’ side of the city. I found it shocking how different the ‘Buda’ side of the city is compared to the ‘Pest’ side, mainly in terms of wealth. It has been snowing heavily all day and last night and the snow if even thicker and I am finding the cold air almost unbearable, but will hopefully get more used to it.

I am enjoying soaking in this new culture so far and am looking forward to learning more about the history of this beautiful city in days to come!

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! I wasn't even aware that Budapest was split into two sectors :) Hope you're having fun! x

    ReplyDelete